Wednesday, December 21, 2011

ER doctor gave me meds that I am allergic to even though they knew, what can I do?

When I was younger I had a horrible reaction to a sulfa drug. So bad that I was hospitalized and even when I got out I had to be on an inhaler for a month. Long story short I wound up in the ER last week, told them my allergies at check in which they wrote on my bracelet and I am uming my chart, and the doctor asked me what I normally take. I told him I really wasn't sure and he started rambling of a list of antibiotics. I told him the one that sounded familiar but still insisted that I wasn't sure and made a point to ask if it was comprised of anything I am allergic to. He ured me it was fine and started me on them. Today I wake up covered in hives and called my main doctor, turns out he gave me a sulfa based drug. I realize that it was my fault for not calling my doctor and asking directly first but should I say something to the ER so that they don't do this again or should I just chalk it up to a lazy ER doctor who doesn't pay attention and let it go?

0 comments:

Post a Comment